DES MOINES, Iowa – The Alzheimer’s Association Iowa Chapter is celebrating and honoring their volunteers during National Volunteer Week on April 18 – 24. Across Iowa, there are over 400 volunteers working hard in the fight to end Alzheimer’s through event support, fundraising, community education and more.
Among the over 400 volunteers there are:
- 30 statewide advocates who help in the pursuit for critical research, prevention and care initiatives at the federal, state and local levels.
- 33 Community Educators are public speakers who provide Alzheimer’s Association education programs through virtual platforms to community audiences.
- 8 committee members for The Longest Day® help recruit participants, provide coaching on fundraising and event planning, and spread the word about this exciting event.
- 229 Walk to End Alzheimer’s® committee members help plan each Walk event from the kick-off to the wrap-up to day of Walk activities.
- 12 Support Group Facilitators help groups of caregivers or people living with dementia to provide social and educational support helping group members provide emotional support to one another.
- 26 Community Representatives promote care and support programs, Alzheimer & Brain Awareness Month, Walk to End Alzheimer’s, or The Longest Day using local connections, bulletin boards, social media and physical displays in their communities.
- 22 Board of Directors provide leadership to fulfill the mission of the Alzheimer’s Association by building relationships with key organizational stakeholders to raise awareness for Alzheimer’s disease, raise critical funds, advance advocacy initiatives, accelerate research efforts, and provide care and support.
- 48 gala committee members work with Association staff to identify, engage, solicit and steward corporate and individual sponsors in an effort to continue the support of the Alzheimer’s Associations mission.
Alzheimer’s Association volunteers are passionate, inspired, and want to make a difference in the fight against Alzheimer’s disease. The Iowa Chapter is always looking for new volunteers in every community across the state. Visit alz.org/iowa/volunteer or contact Sherita Jenkins, Manager of Community Volunteers, at [email protected] or 319-238-7637 with questions or to get involved.
This content has been provided via press release or other notification systems to Discover Muscatine. It is being re-published as a resource for the Muscatine community and has not been vetted or edited by our staff. All questions regarding this content should be directed to the contributor.