The Muscatine Community School District (MCSD) has contracted with Curriculum Management Solutions, inc. (CMSi) for the purpose of conducting a comprehensive review of the district’s educational program, called a curriculum audit.
A curriculum audit consists of a comprehensive and diagnostic evaluation of a school system’s curriculum and all aspects of the system related to the design, delivery, and alignment of that curriculum. An objective, thorough assessment of the school district’s objectives for student learning, plans, and administrative efforts, a team of licensed, qualified professionals will conduct the audit.
The premise of the audit rests on the alignment of all three forms of curriculum, the written, taught, and tested, and uses five proven standards to evaluate district management functions. These five standards include the following:
- Control: The school district demonstrates its control of resources, programs, and personnel.
- Direction: The school district has established clear and valid objectives for students.
- Equity and Connectivity: The school district has demonstrated internal consistency and rational equity in its program development and implementation. Equity in resource allocation and student services evidences itself at all levels of the educational program.
- Feedback: The school district has used the results from district-designed or-adopted assessments to adjust, improve, or terminate ineffective practices or programs.
- Productivity: The school district has improved its productivity.
The auditors use site visits, classroom observations, interviews, online surveys, and comprehensive document reviews in the course of their analyses. Auditors then use their findings regarding system gaps and weaknesses, formulated and supported with data, to identify for system leaders the greatest challenges to improving student achievement. The report then offers specific, contextualized recommendations on how to improve and ameliorate these findings, using existing resources and within the context of system capacity. The CMSi Curriculum Audit® serves as a blueprint for meeting the challenge of improving student achievement for many years to come.
MCSD has established a block of time for parents and community member interviews from 3:30 to 6:30 pm at the MCSD Administration Center, 2900 Mulberry Avenue, Muscatine, Iowa, on Monday, September 16th, 2019. Parents and community members who wish to have an interview may attend the session at which time, a private interview will get set up with a member of the curriculum audit team.
Please direct questions about the upcoming audit and the related processes to Lisa Bunn at [email protected] or (563)-263-7223.