MUSCATINE, Iowa – As long as the weather permits the Department of Public Works (DPW) will continue to collect leaves throughout the City of Muscatine, according to Brian Stineman, DPW Director. At least that is the plan, weather permitting, through December 20.
Crews started in Zone 7 Monday (Dec. 2) and will begin a third round of collections later this week, starting in Zone 8. The final round of collections will continue next week and rotate through Zone 1 through Zone 7 (see MAP).
“Unless we run out of leaves, out of time, or we have snow, we will be picking up leaves,” Stineman said.
Residents can contact DPW at 563-263-8933 for more information or to schedule a pickup.
A few program guidelines:
- Avoid parking on the street on your scheduled leaf collection day.
- Leaf piles blocked by cards will not be collected until cars are moved.
- Do not mix trash, branches, or other yard waste with your leaf piles.
- Snow and ice control will take priority and leaf collection operations may be postponed.
- Please have your leaves out next to the curb by 7 a.m. on day of leaf pickup.
- Leaf trucks may be working in zones prior to pick up day but will return on (or after) scheduled date.
- Please contact the Department of Public Works (563-263-8933) if you have questions, believed you were missed, or are in need of a special collection.
- City of Muscatine and City of Fruitland can transport leaves to the Muscatine Compost Facility for free. A small fee is charged to non-residents and commercial users. The Compost Facility is open 12-6 p.m. Sunday through Friday (except Tuesday and Wednesday) and from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. on Saturdays.
- The Compost Facility also accepts brush and branches along with larger trees and logs (no tree stumps or roots, however).
- City of Muscatine staff will also pick up yard waste placed in City of Muscatine yard waste bags near the residents refuse collection bin on the day of the refuse collection.
- Call the Muscatine Transfer Station (563-263-9689) with questions regarding the Compost Facility or visit the Compost Facility page on the City of Muscatine web site.