** Daily News & Information **
Home of the Muskies!
Spring Activities have begun! Visit the MHS Official Activities Site to see what’s happening for Schedules, Rosters, Directions, Etc.!
Transcript Request Form: Transcript Request Form
Announcements in Green – New
Announcements in Blue – Previous Day
Announcements in Black – 2 or more days old (per request)
2020-21 MHS Curriculum Guide: 2020-21 MHS Curriculum Guidebook
** Daily News & Information **
- Muskie Enriched Learning – Week 2 content is available!
This site includes supplemental digital learning resources for Muscatine CSD students to help supplement learning during the school closure period. They are not assignments and are not going to be graded. They are merely resources to help provide some learning during this unexpected school closure.
Students: Contact your teacher(s) to see if there are opportunities to improve your grade!
- Senior Female Athletes: Check your school email for the ballot for the annual YMCA Female Athlete of the Year Award.
- Spring Sports Athlete Spotlight: Follow @MuskieAD on Twitter to celebrate your Muskie Spring Sports Athletes!
- Muscatine FFA Plant Sale: FFA Plant Sale Flyer
Order, Pay, & Schedule your pick-up Online, Pickup at MHS Greenhouse with Scheduled Pickup Time Slots. Order at: https://tinyurl.com/MuscatineFFAGreenhouse
Plant Sale Dates:
Friday – April 24th, 10:00a.m.-6:00p.m.
Friday – May 1st, 10:00a.m.-6:00p.m.
Friday – May 8th, 10:00a.m.-6:00p.m.
Friday – May 17th, 10:00a.m.-6:00p.m.All orders must be paid via the online payment link with either a debit or credit card.Orders: Can only be placed for the current week. We are not able to hold items beyond the current week. Order Saturday-Friday for that Friday’s Pick-Up.
- Food Distribution List: Food Distribution List
- Community Services: Community Services Information
- The next River Bend Mobile Food Pantry night will be on April 28th at the MCSD Admin building (2900 Mulberry Ave.) from 4:30 to 6:00pm.
- Book Talks on YouTube with Mrs. Keltner: Week 2 Book Talk All three books are available as free ebooks! One of them uses the resource The National Emergency Library which is a great resource for books and academic resources right now!
- Locker Bags will be distributed to middle school and high school students on Thursdays at the District Board Office (2900 Mulberry Ave.) from 11 a.m. to Noon. We will follow the policy such that the first 50 who are in need of bags and are the first to arrive will be served until bags run out for the day. Food Distribution List
- Reminder – Student Council Applications for the 2020-2021 school year are available! Any current 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th-grade student is encouraged to apply. See the attached flyer for more information on Student Council and how to apply. Application packets are due by Friday, April 24th at 11:59 PM. MAKE SURE TO MAKE A COPY OF THE APPLICATION BEFORE TYPING ANY INFORMATION. If you have any questions please feel free to email Ms. Heimerdinger at [email protected]. Student Council 2020/2021 Application
- Cheerleading: If you would like to try out for Cheerleading for this coming Fall and you did not sign up before Spring Break, please email [email protected] to get information about the online tryout process.
- Muscatine Community College and Muscatine Community School District have partnered with Muscatine Power and Water to provide free WI-FI coverage for areas on the MCC campus, the Jefferson Elementary parking area, and the Franklin Elementary campus. Public wi-fi at MCC is active. Jefferson and Franklin are in process.
- Reminder: Parents/Guardians: 2020-21 MHS Student Registration information is being emailed/texted to each parent/guardian (this is contact information – not schedule information). Please be on the lookout for this email/text in the upcoming days/weeks. What is needed? Verify the information, if no changes, please reply to the email/text with “INFORMATION IS CORRECT”. If there are changes, please reply to the email/text with the changes. Either way, a response is needed from the parent/guardian. (Online registration for 2020-21 is discontinued so this is the process we are using to update each student’s information.
- Book Talks on YouTube with Mrs. Keltner: Here are the links to the Week 1 Book Talks.
All three books included in this video are available as ebooks on MackinVia (linked directions on the video). In addition, here is a Week 1 Bonus Book Talk for teachers/staff (but could also be shared with students). We do not have an ebook available right now – but still a great book!
- The Excellence in Education Awards Ceremony has been cancelled however twenty (20) high school seniors and ten (10) 8th grade students will still be selected as award recipients on behalf of the Roy J. Charitable Trust. We’re looking for alternative ways to acknowledge the great accomplishments of the Excellence in Education recipients.
The Roy J. Carver Charitable Trust has provided the Muscatine Community School District the opportunity to present twenty seniors with $3000 scholarships and ten 8th grade students with $1000 scholarships.
- Now is the time to submit Silver Cord forms! If you’ve completed volunteer work but haven’t submitted your Silver Cord form, complete the form and submit to your grade level counselor. Silver Cord Form link
9th Grade: Brandon Welsch [email protected]
10th Grade: Scott Mauck [email protected]
11th Grade: Jacob Mueller [email protected]
12th Grade: Karey Hawkins [email protected]
Career: Maureen Beran [email protected]
At-Risk: Troy Kulland [email protected]their audiobook collection for students while school is closed. PK-12 books are all free using this link: Audible.
- Driver’s Ed Students (March 23rd session): IF YOU HAVE NOT CONTACTED AEA at [email protected], to reschedule to a please do so ASAP! Students scheduled for the March 23 session may move to summer classes. Please contact MBAEA at [email protected] via email to notify us of your summer class preference. Driver Ed information can be obtained from the Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency (MBAEA) website – https://www.mbaea.org/en/student_programs/driver_education/
Summer Session dates are:
June 8 to 27
June 29 to July 18
July 20 to August 8
FYI – classes do have maximum capacity, so please contact our office at [email protected] as soon as possible.
- MBAEA Driver Education school year classes for 2020-21 will be open for registration on July 1st online. Driver Ed information can be obtained from the Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency (MBAEA) website – https://www.mbaea.org/en/student_programs/driver_education/
- ACT ACADEMY: A great way to keep up with academic skills and to prepare for the ACT during this time at home is through ACT Academy. (11th grade students received their ACT scores from their February test, and may be planning to retake it in the summer or fall.)Check out the resources on academy.act.org, where you can focus on certain subjects/skills according to your most recent scores, if you have already taken the ACT test. If you are thinking of taking your first ACT test, take advantage of getting a head start and utilize this FREE resource! If you do not have an account, view this tutorial for instructions. (Student were also emailed a pdf of the tutorial.)This is a completely free resource that can be accessed at home! If you have questions, email Mrs. Mueller at [email protected]Note: Students typically take the ACT test a couple of times to improve their score for college entrance and also for scholarship opportunities!! MHS 11th grade students have had the benefit of their first ACT test being paid for by MCSD with the test administered by MHS staff during a school day. Additional ACT tests are paid for by the student.
- Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) is a joint conference of two Rotary Districts. It’s a six day leadership conference held at Grinnell, Iowa. This year, the dates are July 19 – July 24. High school sophomores and juniors (2019 – 2020 school year) are eligible to apply. The Rotary club of Muscatine would like to sponsor two students to attend this year! You can begin to apply now! Registration closes April 30th, 2020. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to Naomi DeWinter: [email protected] http://www.iowaryla.org/apply/
- Transcripts: If you need a transcript, please fill out the Transcript Request Form (or include all the information requested on the form) and email [email protected]
- Seniors: For a list of scholarships available at this time, please click on the ‘Scholarships’ link below. Scholarships are listed by the month of their due date. Scholarships
(You can also search the internet for other scholarships available!)
- Muscatine Race for the Schools (scheduled for May 2) will be postponed. At this time, we have not scheduled a make-up date for the Muscatine Race for the Schools. We will continue to monitor and follow the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and the Muscatine Community School District. People who have already registered will have the option of participating in the Race for the Schools on the make-up date or deferring their registration until 2021. Please watch for updates on the Muscatine Race for The Schools website.
- RESCHEDULED FOR JUNE 5TH! 16th Annual All City Swing Dance will take place on Friday, June 5, 2020 from 7-10PM at The Merrill Hotel. $6 Cash Only Admission. 2020 All City Swing Dance Info
- Muscatine Community College/EICC – Summer 2020 Nurse Aid Class
(session 1: June 8-June 29)
(session 2: July 6-July 27)
To participate in the summer nurse aid class students are required to:
- Be 16 years old by orientation date (session 1: May 29, session 2: June 26)
- Be a current Iowa high school student not graduated before July 1, 2020
- Attend Mandatory Orientation
- Acquire book and get fitted for uniform at the college bookstore
(Book and uniform costs are covered)
- Complete a Criminal Background check and pay $25
- Provide proof of TB Test or QuantiFeronGold
- Have appropriate transportation to and from class and clinicals
- Have and wear tennis shoes to class and clinicals
- Have and wear a second hand watch
- Attend all classes and clinicals
- Attend the Field Experience on June 30, 2020
- Schedule and complete state certification testing
Students will be responsible for the $25 background check, TB Test costs, obtaining a second hand watch and transportation to and from class, clinicals and state testing site. All other costs will be covered by the college grant.If a student is interested in nursing, the high school has a concurrent nursing academy for students in their junior and/or senior years of high school and the nurse aid class is offered to those students during their spring term.
There are a limited number of seats for this class offering.FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT ANABELIA CALDERON-FLORES AT 563-288-6035 OR EMAIL [email protected]
- 2020 Muscatine County Fair Queen Competition: If you are a young lady between the ages of 16-21 and are interested in participating and representing the Muscatine County Fair this year, please complete and submit the attached application. Applications are due May 1, 2020. 2020 Muscatine County Fair Queen Registration Form
- Parents and Guardians: Our school utilizes the School Messenger system to deliver text messages, straight to your mobile phone with important information about events, school closings, safety alerts and more.* You can participate in this free service* just by sending a text message of “Y” or “Yes” to our school’s short code number, 67587. See flyer for more information. SMS Text Opt-In Flyer.pdf
- Driver Ed information can be obtained from the Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency (MBAEA) website – https://www.mbaea.org/en/student_programs/driver_education/
** Silver Cord Opportunities/Volunteer Opportunities **
- Silver Cord Form- Google Form: The Silver Cord Form is now a google form that you submit online. Silver Cord Form link
** Sports Information **
- Visit MHS Official Activities Site for updates to schedules, rosters & directions.
- Athletic Forms: Parent Permission Form Concussion Form Physical Form
** Fundraisers **
- Muskie Store is Open! The district has partnered with Phelps Custom Apparel to offer our staff, families, and community Muskie Apparel! This online store does not close meaning that it remains open for all of your Muskie clothing needs throughout the year.
Go to: https://stores.inksoft.com/phelpsstores_muscatine_muskies/shop/home and check it out!
- Muskies School Store – Jostens: Do you want Muskie Spirit Wear/Accessories or to give as a gift. A portion of sales comes back to MHS! $10 discount coupons available! Contact Doreen at [email protected] for discount.
Visit Muscatine High School Muskies Custom Apparel
** Scholarships **
- For a list of scholarships available at this time, please click on the ‘Scholarships’ link below. Scholarships are listed by the month of their due date. Scholarships
** Keep informed on what is going on at MHS! **
Activities/Athletics: RSchool Today Announcements: MHS News Facebook: MHS Facebook Page Twitter: @Muscatine HS
Instagram: @Muscatine HS Snapchat: Muscatine HS Student Handbook: MCSD Student Handbk Curriculum Guide: 2020-21 Curriculum Guide
This content has been provided by the Muscatine Community School District and is distributed by Discover Muscatine.