** Daily News & Information ** Home of the Muskies!
We are continuing to follow CDC and public health COVID-19 guidelines. Wearing your mask is mandatory at all times in the classroom and in the hallways. Masks must cover your nose. Gaiters are not acceptable mask coverings.
MHS Attendance Office: 563-263-6616 x1133 or [email protected]
Announcements in Green – New
Announcements in Blue – Previous Day
Announcements in Black – 2 or more days old (per request)
** Daily News & Information **
- Football Meeting: There will be a Football meeting in the Van Hecke Gym during all Muskie Times on Tuesday, April 27th. The meeting is for anyone interested in playing football next year. Please see Coach Hawkins if you have any questions.
- FFA Weekly – April 26-May 2: FFA Weekly
- Congratulations to Nolan Recker for his 7th place finish in the Discus at the Drake Relays.
- Congratulations to all of our students that were part of the cast and crew for SpongeBob SquarePants, the Musical. Great job everyone!
- LAST CALL – CAPE TICKETS: Last week CAPE volunteers spent over 10 hours at MHS for CAPE ticket distribution, giving away 375 tickets. CAPE Committee members will not be coming back to sit at the table and distribute this week. However, students will have one last chance to get their CAPE ticket.
The CAPE waivers are located outside the AD office in the forms rack for students to pick up. You need to return the completed forms to the Attendance Center no later than 3:30pm on Thursday, April 29th. It will be the students’ responsibility to pick up their CAPE ticket on Friday at the Attendance Center. Tickets are numbered and have their name on them. You will not be admitted to CAPE without your CAPE ticket. NO FORMS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER 4:00PM ON THURSDAY!
- MHS Junior/Senior Prom will be on Saturday, May 1st from 8-11pm. It will be held outdoors in front of the Stadium’s new concession stand area with a large tent area being in place for shelter and seating. There is a back-up plan if there is inclement weather therefore Prom will be held regardless of the weather.
- FREE Prom Dresses, Shoes, Dress Pants, Shirts Ties, & Shoes! If you are in need of a prom dress, shoes, dress pants, shirt,tie or shoes, check out the display across from the Attendance Center. If you have any questions, see Mrs. Adams in the Attendance Office. Prom is on May 1st. NEW DRESSES ADDED – STOP AND CHECK OUT THEM OUT!
- Carnival After the Prom Extravaganza or C.A.P.E. donations are being accepted and adult volunteers are needed! CAPE is the safe, chaperoned, drug and alcohol-free after-prom party, which is offered AT NO CHARGE to all juniors and seniors in good standing. This year, C.A.P.E. will be held after prom from 11:30 PM on May 1 until 2:30 AM, May 2. CAPE Donation & Volunteer Communication
- REMINDER! 9th & 10th Grade Students: The Pre-ACT test will be optional this year instead of mandatory for any 9th and 10th grade student. The Pre-ACT empowers students with a unique ACT® test practice experience. Scores provide valuable insights into students’ predicted performance on the ACT and help inform important high school course decisions. Please complete the form if you would like to request a Pre-ACT test for May 20th. The test will be given during the school day. You do NOT need to complete the form if you are NOT planning on taking the Pre-ACT test May 20th.
REQUESTS FOR A TEST NEED TO BE DONE BY END OF DAY WEDNESDAY, APRIL 28th. Pre-ACT Request for Testing May 20th
- Activities/Athletics Info: See Activities/Athletics section below.
- Job Opportunities: See Job Opportunities section below.
- Silver Cord Opportunities: See Silver Cord section below.
- Race for the Schools 2021 Race for the Schools Registration Form
Virtual Option ONLY for 2021
What: Virtual 5K or Virtual Muskie Mile Run/Jog/Walk – Run any route on your own or with a parent/adult
When: Any time from April 23 to Saturday, May 1, 2021
Adult Fees: 5K, $20 – Muskie Mile – $10
Student Fees: 5K, $10 – Muskie Mile – $8
Contact Daphne at 563-263-7223 or [email protected]
- 2nd Annual MHS Baseball Fundraiser – Mattress Sale at the Van Hecke Center – May 22nd from 10am-5pm. Mattress Sale Information
- Community Job Fair will be held at Louisa-Muscatine High School Gym on April 28 from 3-6PM. This is for high school students and adults seeking employment. Masks are required. Community Job Fair Info
- Key Club Fundraiser – Want to see your favorite teacher get showered with water? Donate to Key Club’s fundraiser: April Showers bring May flowers. Students and staff can donate money outside student services during lunch on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for the remainder of April (or to the library during the rest of the day) – and the three teachers with the highest amount of donation will be showered in the beginning of May. Weekly updates will be posted on the Key Club Instagram page @MuskieKeyClub. All proceeds go to Early Childhood Muscatine to support our local families. April Showers Info
- LEGOS Needed for Environmental Sciences Class: The MHS Environmental Science class is in need of a substantial number of Legos for the next few weeks. After the project for which they are needed is complete they will be returned to the donors if needed. LEGOS can be dropped off in at the MHS Attendance Center or in Mr. Johnson’s room #15-113 in the Science wing. Please indicate if they are a donation or if you would like them returned.
- 2020-21 Yearbook Order Date has been extended to May 26, 2021! $56 per yearbook.
Payment can be made online using InTouch, MHS Attendance Center, or by mail.
- Lost and Found: Stop at the Attendance Center if you have lost jewelry, wireless headphones, charging cases, water bottles, etc. You will need to provide a description of the item you have lost.
- ACT Academy Test Prep: All students have free access to the ACT Academy test prep online. The link below includes the instructions for log in whether you have or have not logged in in the past. Please contact Mrs. Hawkins with any questions. ACT Academy Test Prep
- 2021 Muscatine County Fair Queen Competition: It is hard to believe that we are already starting to think about fair 2021! Once again we are looking for young women to run for the title of 2021 Muscatine County Fair Queen. Entry Deadline: May 14, 2021. Muscatine Co. Fair Queen Application
- FREE MEALS for all kids 18 (older when enrolled in school) and under. (USDA announced that they would be extending the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)). We will also provide a pick-up site at Central for parents, guardians or a designee (such as an older sibling) to pick up meals for multiple days for those not attending school in person, too young to attend school and weekend meals. Survey to pick up meals at Central
- Parents and Guardians: Our school utilizes the School Messenger system to deliver text messages, straight to your mobile phone with important information about events, school closings, safety alerts and more.* You can participate in this free service* just by sending a text message of “Y” or “Yes” to our school’s short code number, 67587. See flyer for more information. SMS Text Opt-In Flyer.pdf
- 2020-21 Driver’s Ed information can be obtained from the Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency (MBAEA) Drivers Ed Information
** Athletic/Activities Information **
- Muscatine Summer Youth Volleyball Camp for students entering grades 5th-8th grade – August 12th & 13th from 3:30-5pm at the MHS VanHecke Center. Cost: $40 per camper. Please contact Coach Russell with any questions at [email protected] Registration forms are due July 16th to guarantee a t-shirt. Walk-ins will be accepted however t-shirt is not guaranteed. Muscatine Youth Volleyball Camp Info & Registration Form
- Open mat wrestling workouts available to all MHS students beginning April 1 in the wrestling room from 4-5 pm.
- Visit MHS Official Activities Site for updates to schedules, rosters & directions.
- Follow @MuskieAD on Twitter for MHS activities & athletic updates and information.
- Athletic Forms: Parent Permission Form Concussion Form Physical Form
** Forms **
- Online Transcript Request Form: Muscatine High School Transcript Request Form
- Silver Cord Form: Students recording hours of volunteer service during their years at MHS will be awarded a Silver Cord to wear at graduation. In order for volunteer hours to count towards a Silver Cord, students must complete the online form to verify. Silver Cord Form
- BookDash Service: The MHS Library is continuing to offer our BookDash service!! Any student who needs (or wants) more books to read during virtual learning can complete the BookDash order form. * More information is available on the MHS Library website or the linked flyer. Curbside pick up is recommended!
*All visitors entering MHS must use the front doors and masks are required. Books must be picked up within one week of the ‘ready email’. Email Mrs. Keltner at [email protected] with questions!
- Vehicle Registration Form/Parking Tags: If you are a new driver to MHS and do not have an MHS Parking Tag, you will need to pick up & complete a Vehicle Registration Form. Vehicle Registration Form Students that have a parking tag from last year will continue to use that parking tag. If you no longer have the parking tag, please stop in the Student Services office.
- DOT Minor School License Form: DOT Minor School License Form Forms are available in the MHS Main Office – Rm-11-001. (You must have completed Driver’s Ed in order to submit this form.) Instructions: Please complete Sections 1 and 3. (Leave Section 2 blank) and return to the Main Office.
** Fundraisers **
- Muskie Store is Open! The district has partnered with Phelps Custom Apparel to offer our staff, families, and community Muskie Apparel! This online store does not close meaning that it remains open for all of your Muskie clothing needs throughout the year.
Go to: Phelps Muskie Store and check it out!
- Jostens Muskie School Store: Do you want Muskie Spirit Wear/Accessories or to give as a gift?
Visit Jostens Muskie School Store
SAVE10 – $10.00 off all products, minimum purchase of $75
SSOFF10 – 10% off all products
** Job Opportunities **
- Are you a student interested in a career in firefighting and EMS? Check out the Muscatine Fire Department Explorer Program! Contact Mrs. Hawkins for details. MFD Explorer Info
- Seniors: Temp Associates has summer jobs available in Assembly and Mig Welding. Pay range of $13 to $15 an hour. Positions are also available if you are looking for full time career opportunities. Stop by the office at 104 Cleveland St., next to HyVee, or call 563-263-6589.
- Juniors – Temp Associates is looking for candidates for internship opportunities for the 2021/2022 school year. Internship opportunities include: welding, drafting, engineering, and marketing. Please go to the office located at 104 Cleveland St., next to HyVee, or call (563)263-6589.
- Seniors – Production position available: Manpower Temp Agency is a staffing service for a local production facility who is looking for people that are eager to work and can work any shift. They produce and package product for shipment. This is a temp-to-hire position so it can lead into a full time permanent position based on attendance and productivity. The starting pay is $13.50/hr paid weekly. Manpower also offers medical insurance and 401K after 90 days of employment with us. We also offer continuing education. If anyone is interested, please contact Cynthia Monday – Friday from 8 am – 5 pm at 319-237-3113 or email [email protected]
- The Chore Program at Senior Resources of Muscatine is looking for young adults 16 years of age or older to work or volunteer their time as independent chore contractors providing lawn care this summer for seniors living in Muscatine. This can be a paid or a volunteer position. If anyone is interested you can contact John Bryant at 563-263-7292 or e-mail to [email protected]
- Summer Conservation Jobs with Muscatine County Conservation Board. Must be 18 and have a valid driver license. Summer Conservation Worker Info Muscatine Co. Employment Application
- Geneva Golf and Country Club Seasonal Job Opportunity: Geneva Golf and Country Club is looking for seasonal bag staff for this spring, summer, and fall! This is a great team atmosphere to work in! Perfect for a high school or college student! Must be at least 16 years old.
Geneva Seasonal Job Description Please apply by reaching out to Matt Dail at 815-441-8989, emailing Matt at [email protected] or [email protected], or by calling Geneva Golf and Country Club at 563-263-8942!
** Scholarships **
- Seniors: The 2021-2022 MCC Foundation Scholarship Deadline has been Extended! The new deadline is July 30, 2021. Apply at www.eicc.edu/scholarships Click on “Apply Online for Muscatine Community College”. New applications can be submitted AND draft applications that were not completed by the March 1 deadline, can be finished and submitted. New applications can be submitted AND draft applications that were not completed by the March 1 deadline, can be finished and submitted.
- Please visit Scholarships for a list of available scholarships. (newest scholarships are listed at the end of the document)
- Ag Coop Safety Directors of Iowa Scholarship in Memory of Mark Hambleton
Award Amount: Up to $1500
Application Deadline: April 30, 2021 Ag Coop Safety Directors of Iowa Scholarship Info & Application
- Seniors: Iowa College Aid is offering a few programs to help fund your college experience.
The links to these programs can be found at:
** Silver Cord Opportunities/Volunteer Opportunities **
- Deliver Meals for Seniors Saturdays & holidays. Meals are picked up at Trinity. It takes about an hour to deliver a route. A route consists of delivering 8- 10 meals. Training is provided by riding along with current volunteers to learn route. A valid driver’s license (or a licensed driver to transport you) is required. Please contact Teri Piazza at Senior Resources today! Phone: (563) 263-7292.
- The Food & Nutrition Department is providing a free meal pick up service at Central Middle School on Wednesday & Thursday for families in our community. We need help packing meals and carrying boxes and bags to cars. Please email [email protected] for details.
- Silver Cord Program: Students recording hours of volunteer service during their years at MHS will be awarded a Silver Cord to wear at graduation. In order for volunteer hours to count towards a Silver Cord, students must complete the online form to verify. Silver Cord Form
Service qualifies for Silver Cord recognition if:
- The student is not paid for the service
The student does not receive credit for the service.
The service is not for the purpose of fundraising for a group/activity/team that the student participates in.
*140 hours are required for students in the Class of 2021, 2022 and 2023.
*160 hours are required for students graduating in the Class of 2024.
** Yearbook Information **
- 2020-21 Yearbook Order Date has been extended to May 3, 2021! $56 per yearbook. Payment can be made online using InTouch via Parent PowerSchool portal, MHS Attendance Center, or by mail. Complete details: 2020-21 Yearbook Order Details
- Did you or someone you know attend Muscatine High School during the 2012 through 2015 school years? If so, this is your chance to purchase a yearbook that reflects those school years and memories! Each yearbook is $20 until sold out. All proceeds go back into the Yearbook Club to purchase new equipment and expand the program for students. To purchase, call the Activities Office at Muscatine High School at (563) 263-6141 and ask for Mindy.
** Keep informed on what is going on at MHS! **
|Facebook:||MHS Facebook Page|
|Student Handbook:||MCSD Student Handbk|
|Curriculum Guide:||2020-21 Curriculum Guide|
This content has been provided by the Muscatine Community School District and is distributed by Discover Muscatine.