** Daily News & Information ** Home of the Muskies!
Masks must be worn at all times at MHS; when entering the building, in the hallways, and in the classrooms along with continuing to practice social distancing.
MHS Attendance Office: 563-263-6616 or [email protected] – available 24 hours
Announcements in Green – New
Announcements in Blue – Previous Day
Announcements in Black – 2 or more days old (per request)
** Daily News & Information **
- Silver Cord Opportunity: The City of Muscatine is looking for names of volunteers who would be available to help out local citizens shovel their sidewalk and/or drive entrances. If this is something that you would be interested in, please contact the Public Works Department at 563-263-8933 and ask for Connie.
- Are you curious about COVID and how it affects your body? Do you have or know someone who has issues with their lungs or breathing and would like to know more about it? Are you interested in a career in medicine but unsure what you want to do? Join Mr. Johnson’s Human Anatomy and Physiology class on Monday, January 11/Tuesday, January 12, from 1:00-2:00 in speaking with Ms. Melissa Forsythe, a respiratory therapist from the University of Iowa Hospital’s COVID wing. Ms. Forsythe will discuss how she came to find her passion in this path, what she does, and medical ailments that she encounters and helps treat in her career.
In order to attend you must pick up a pass from Mr. Johnson (New Science Wing, Rm 15-113) and have it signed both by Mr. Johnson AND your 5th hour teacher by 8:15AM on the day you plan to attend. There will be a limit to the number of students allowed to attend to maintain compliance with COVID policies associated with social distancing.
- Student IDs: Student IDs are available and can be picked up in Student Services for those students that had their picture taken at either one of the picture days.
- Driver’s Ed: The next session of Drivers Ed will begin January 11th from 5:30-8:30 PM. If you are registered for this class, you will be receiving a Google Classroom invite from Mr. Truitt for the virtual classroom sessions. Textbooks can be picked up Wednesday and Thursday (January 6 and 7) during lunch in the Asst. Principal’s Office, Rm 12-001. There will also be a drive-up opportunity to pick up textbooks on Thursday, January 7th from 4:00-5:30pm in front of the Main Entrance. Mr. Truitt will be at the picnic table handing out textbooks. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Truitt at [email protected]
- Scholarships: Scholarship Link (new scholarships are added to the end of the document)
- 2020-21 Yearbooks Orders: Final Date to Order: Friday, February 25th, 2021, $56 per yearbook. Payment can be made online using InTouch, MHS Attendance Center, or by mail.
Complete details: 2020-21 Yearbook Order Details
- Student Reminders:
- We still have 2 weeks left in the 1st semester. During these two weeks some students will be working on component recovery, some students will be working on key skills that they still need to understand from the first semester and other students may be working on enrichment or extensions of those key skills. 1st semester grades will not be finalized until January 15th.
- We are still on the current A/B day schedule (Mon/Wed = A day, Tue/Thur = B day, this Friday is an A day) until we start the 2nd semester on January 19th.
- We are continuing to follow CDC and public health COVID-19 guidelines. Wearing your mask is still mandatory at all times in the classroom and in the hallways. During lunch there are to be no more than 4 to a table, sitting every other seat and only 2 at a booth sitting on opposite sides.
- Students: If you are interested in helping load content into our MHS Touch Pros Display screen, please contact Mr. Ulses. This is the new touchscreen monitor by the gym. This is a great opportunity to learn more about our Muscatine athletic history, share our history so that it can be displayed in the Touch Pros system and you can earn service hours while helping out. If you have a sport that interests you, you can focus on that area. Contact Mr. Ulses in the AD Office, Room 11-005, or at [email protected] if you are interested.
- FFA Weekly Update-January 4-10, 2021: FFA Weekly Update
- 2nd Semester A_B Hybrid Calendar (2nd Semester Begins January 18th): 2nd-Semester A_B Calendar
Note: The change to the Hybrid Calendar for 2nd semester is that each day, including Fridays, will be an alternate day meaning that if Thursday is an A day, Friday is a B day and if Thursday is a B Day, Friday is an A day.
- ACT Academy Test Prep: All students have free access to the ACT Academy test prep online. The link below includes the instructions for log in whether you have or have not logged in in the past. Please contact Mrs. Hawkins with any questions. ACT Academy Test Prep
- Muskie Strength T-Shirts: We have a few Muskie Strength T-Shirts available for anyone that is interested. There are limited numbers of S, M, L, XL and 2XL. All sizes are $15. See or email Coach Hawkins at [email protected] if interested.
- Proofs of school photos from Picture Days can be picked up on the tables across from the Attendance Center. If you would like to order photos from the proof, all the info is on the proof sheet.
- Lost & Found: If you have lost an item, please stop at the Attendance Center to see if it has been turned in. Items turned in recently are air pods, lunch boxes, clothing, and jewelry. You will need to provide details of the items lost such as color, etc.
- FREE MEALS for all kids 18 (older when enrolled in school) and under. (USDA announced that they would be extending the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)). We will also provide a pick-up site at Central for parents, guardians or a designee (such as an older sibling) to pick up meals for multiple days for those not attending school in person, too young to attend school and weekend meals. Survey to pick up meals at Central
Please see what meals would be provided while school is in session below:
Children too young to attend school can still receive breakfast & lunch all week, including weekends.
Virtual (in-home) Learners can still receive breakfast & lunch all week, including weekends.
Elementary (In-person Learners) will receive free meals at school, but can still receive breakfast & lunch for the weekends.
Middle & High School (Hybrid Learners) will receive free meals at school, but can still receive free meals for Hybrid A or B days at home & breakfast & lunch for the weekends.New
- Hallway Lockers: Students are allowed to use their hallway lockers to store their coats and other items. If you are unsure about your hallway locker number or combination, please email one of these three individuals listed below and they will assist you.
Allie Meineke – [email protected]
Kris Meeker – [email protected]
Doreen Borde – [email protected]
- If your student is having issues with their district-issued laptop connecting to the internet, Google Meets, Google Classroom, TeamBuildr, etc., please call 563-263-6141 and you will be connected to the MHS Tech Dept. or email MHS Tech Dept. at Jose or Korey with your computer issue. For students without internet access, the district has a limited number of hotspots that can be loaned out at no cost to the students. Please call the help desk at (563) 770-0212 for hotspot availability or, email [email protected]
- Parents and Guardians: Our school utilizes the School Messenger system to deliver text messages, straight to your mobile phone with important information about events, school closings, safety alerts and more.* You can participate in this free service* just by sending a text message of “Y” or “Yes” to our school’s short code number, 67587. See flyer for more information. SMS Text Opt-In Flyer.pdf
- 2020-21 Driver’s Ed information can be obtained from the Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency (MBAEA) Drivers Ed Information
** Forms **
- Online Transcript Request Form: Muscatine High School Transcript Request Form
- BookDash Service: The MHS Library is continuing to offer our BookDash service!! Any student who needs (or wants) more books to read during virtual learning can complete the BookDash order form. * More information is available on the MHS Library website or the linked flyer. Curbside pick up is recommended!
*All visitors entering MHS must use the front doors and masks are required. Books must be picked up within one week of the ‘ready email’. Email Mrs. Keltner at [email protected] with questions!
- Vehicle Registration Form/Parking Tags: If you are a new driver to MHS and do not have an MHS Parking Tag, you will need to pick up & complete a Vehicle Registration Form. Vehicle Registration Form Students that have a parking tag from last year will continue to use that parking tag. If you no longer have the parking tag, please stop in the Student Services office.
- DOT Minor School License Form: DOT Minor School License Form Forms are available in the MHS Main Office – Rm-11-001. (You must have completed Driver’s Ed in order to submit this form.) Instructions: Please complete Sections 1 and 3. (Leave Section 2 blank) and return to the Main Office.
** Fundraisers **
- Muskie Store is Open! The district has partnered with Phelps Custom Apparel to offer our staff, families, and community Muskie Apparel! This online store does not close meaning that it remains open for all of your Muskie clothing needs throughout the year.
Go to: Phelps Muskie Store and check it out!
- Jostens Muskie School Store: Do you want Muskie Spirit Wear/Accessories or to give as a gift?
Visit Jostens Muskie School Store
SAVE10 – $10.00 off all products, minimum purchase of $75
SSOFF10 – 10% off all products
** Scholarships **
- Please visit Scholarships for a list of available scholarships. (newest scholarships are listed at the end of the document)
- Seniors: Iowa College Aid is offering a few programs to help fund your college experience.
The links to these programs can be found at:
** Silver Cord Opportunities/Volunteer Opportunities **
- The Food & Nutrition Department is providing a free meal pick up service at Central Middle School on Wednesday, Thursday & Friday for families in our community. We need help packing meals and carrying boxes and bags to cars. Please email [email protected] for details.
- Silver Cord Opportunity: Memorial Park Cemetery Clean-up, located at Mulberry and Houser Streets. If interested, please contact Kelly at 563-272-8649.
- Silver Cord Program: Students recording hours of volunteer service during their years at MHS will be awarded a Silver Cord to wear at graduation. In order for volunteer hours to count towards a Silver Cord, students must complete the online form to verify. Silver Cord Form
Service qualifies for Silver Cord recognition if:
- The student is not paid for the service
The student does not receive credit for the service.
The service is not for the purpose of fundraising for a group/activity/team that the student participates in.
*140 hours are required for students in the Class of 2021, 2022 and 2023.
*160 hours are required for students graduating in the Class of 2024.
** Sports Information/Athletic Forms **
- Muscatine High School Current Athletics Department Guidelines for Spectator Sports at MHS. Games are not open to the general public at this time.
MHS Winter Sports Spectator Guidelines
- Spectators for Upcoming MHS Home Basketball Games:
- Per Gov. Reynolds’ COVID 19 proclamations for Spectators at High School sporting events, each rostered player is allowed 2 Game Day tickets.
- Spectators may not purchase admission or enter the gym without having a Game Day ticket. Game Day tickets will generally be used to allow family members to attend the game.
- Currently there are no ‘extra’ Game Day tickets to distribute to students or other community members.
- MHS Home Basketball games will be broadcast on FM 93.1 and streamed on Discover Muscatine.
- We will share updates and changes as they become available. Thank you for your support and Go Muskies!
- Visit MHS Official Activities Site for updates to schedules, rosters & directions.
- Follow @MuskieAD on Twitter for MHS activities & athletic updates and information.
- Athletic Forms: Parent Permission Form Concussion Form Physical Form
** Yearbook Information **
- FINAL DATE TO ORDER IS FEB. 25, 2021! 2020-21 Yearbooks Orders: $56 per yearbook. Payment can be made at the MHS Attendance Center, online using InTouch, or by mail. Complete details: 2020-21 Yearbook Order Details
- 2019-20 Yearbooks: If you purchased a 2019-20 yearbook, you can pick it up at the Attendance Center.
- Did you or someone you know attend Muscatine High School during the 2012 through 2015 school years? If so, this is your chance to purchase a yearbook that reflects those school years and memories! Each yearbook is $20 until sold out. All proceeds go back into the Yearbook Club to purchase new equipment and expand the program for students. To purchase, call the Activities Office at Muscatine High School at (563) 263-6141 and ask for Mindy.
** Keep informed on what is going on at MHS! **
|Facebook:||MHS Facebook Page|
|Student Handbook:||MCSD Student Handbk|
|Curriculum Guide:||2020-21 Curriculum Guide|
This content has been provided by the Muscatine Community School District and is distributed by Discover Muscatine.