** Daily News & Information **
Home of the Muskies!
Spring Activities have begun! Visit the MHS Official Activities Site to see what’s happening for Schedules, Rosters, Directions, Etc.!
Transcript Request Form: Transcript Request Form
Announcements in Green – New
Announcements in Blue – Previous Day
Announcements in Black – 2 or more days old (per request)
** Daily News & Information **
- Want to read or listen to an audio book? Here are some resources for you to use!
- Online Resources
ALL databases/online resources are linked on the Muskie Library Website under the “Online Resources” tab. Most databases/online resources use the username: 4581mushs and password: mbaea9 and attached is the MHS Library brochure that contains all the usernames and passwords. Most are research databases for students, but there are a few under MultiMedia Resources
(namely Learn360) that have videos, games, printable resources for PK-12.
Attached is a letter from the AEA (for parents but relevant for teachers & students) about the databases they offer. The Muskie Library website has a few additional resources available.
Muskie Library Brochure Login Directions for MackinVia Sample Email to Parents
We have access to a large library of ebooks through MackinVia. Login using:
This is a great resource for those who are really avid readers who are getting bored while libraries are closed! You can also check out Project Gutenberg, which is free ebooks versions of books in the public domain.
In addition, Musser Public Library has ebooks for their patrons as well as digital magazines.
More information on the Musser PL website. Also, remember that Musser PL wifi is available from their parking lot (while social distancing from your car). The password is: musserpl.
- Audio Books
MackinVia also has some audiobooks for students. Audible has also opened up their audiobook collection for students while school is closed. PK-12 books are all free using this link: Audible.
- Online Resources
- Transcripts: If you need a transcript, please fill out the Transcript Request Form (or include all the information requested on the form) and email [email protected]
- Trinity College-Health Care Exploration Camp – July 27-30: Trinity College is holding a summer camp for those interested in pursuing a career in healthcare (must be sixteen years old or older). To apply is free, but there is a $30 fee if selected to fill one of the 20 spots. There are also scholarships available. Students can apply now through April 1st with those selected being contacted in early May. If you have questions, please contact Anna Masengarb at [email protected] Trinity College: Health Care Exploration Camp Info
Note: All summer activities and degree programs are planned to take-place as scheduled. If there are any changes, a notice will be sent out to applicants.
- Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest: Get creative and enter the contest! All different types of media can be used! Click on link for full details. Deadline: March 31, 2020
Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest Info
- Seniors: For a list of scholarships available at this time, please click on the ‘Scholarships’ link below. Scholarships are listed by the month of their due date. Scholarships
(You can also search the internet for other scholarships available!)
- FFA Banquet scheduled for Thursday, March 26 has been cancelled. Reschedule date TBD.
- Class of 2020 – Senior Survey: Seniors – The Senior Survey is up and running on Powerschool. Now is a great time for seniors to login and get the Senior Survey completed. This survey is required by the state and gives them information about your post secondary intentions.
- Muscatine Race for the Schools (scheduled for May 2) will be postponed. At this time, we have not scheduled a make-up date for the Muscatine Race for the Schools. We will continue to monitor and follow the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and the Muscatine Community School District. People who have already registered will have the option of participating in the Race for the Schools on the make-up date or deferring their registration until 2021. Please watch for updates on the Muscatine Race for The Schools website.
- FREE Grab-N-Go Breakfast and Lunch Meals Available! Grab-N-Go Meal Info
Starting Monday, 3/23/20, Muscatine Community School District’s Food & Nutrition Department will begin providing prepackaged lunches & breakfasts (breakfast for the next day) for children 18 years old & under. CHILDREN MUST BE PRESENT FOR FOOD DISTRIBUTION.
We will continue to increase or decrease site locations based upon the need of the community and will communicate to our families any changes. **Please do not attend if you or your child is sick (running a fever, cough, etc.).
- MHS Prom has been cancelled for April 18 from 8-11pm at The Merrill Hotel. MHS Prom Communication.pdf
- RESCHEDULED FOR JUNE 5TH! 16th Annual All City Swing Dance will take place on Friday, June 5, 2020 from 7-10PM at The Merrill Hotel. $6 Cash Only Admission. 2020 All City Swing Dance Info
- Muscatine AEA Driver Education March 23 session has been cancelled.
Students scheduled for the March 23 session may move to summer classes. Please contact MBAEA at [email protected] via email to notify us of your summer class preference.
The dates are:
- June 8 to 27
- June 29 to July 18
- July 20 to August 8
MBAEA Driver Education school year classes for 2020-21 will be open for registration on July 1st online. Driver Ed information can be obtained from the Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency (MBAEA) website – https://www.mbaea.org/en/student_programs/driver_education/
FYI – classes do have maximum capacity, so please contact our office at [email protected] as soon as possible.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this unprecedented time.
- Muscatine Community College/EICC – Summer 2020 Nurse Aid Class
(session 1: June 8-June 29)
(session 2: July 6-July 27)
To participate in the summer nurse aid class students are required to:
- Be 16 years old by orientation date (session 1: May 29, session 2: June 26)
- Be a current Iowa high school student not graduated before July 1, 2020
- Attend Mandatory Orientation
- Acquire book and get fitted for uniform at the college bookstore
(Book and uniform costs are covered)
- Complete a Criminal Background check and pay $25
- Provide proof of TB Test or QuantiFeronGold
- Have appropriate transportation to and from class and clinicals
- Have and wear tennis shoes to class and clinicals
- Have and wear a second hand watch
- Attend all classes and clinicals
- Attend the Field Experience on June 30, 2020
- Schedule and complete state certification testing
Students will be responsible for the $25 background check, TB Test costs, obtaining a second hand watch and transportation to and from class, clinicals and state testing site. All other costs will be covered by the college grant.If a student is interested in nursing, the high school has a concurrent nursing academy for students in their junior and/or senior years of high school and the nurse aid class is offered to those students during their spring term.
There are a limited number of seats for this class offering.FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT ANABELIA CALDERON-FLORES AT 563-288-6035 OR EMAIL [email protected]
- Junior Police Academy: Lt. Jirak will be holding information sessions for students and parents who are interested in learning more about the Junior Police Academy this summer in the MHS Commons during Muskie Time (10:00-10:30) on Tuesday, April 21st, Tuesday, April 28th, Tuesday, May 12th. Junior Police Academy Information
Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) is a joint conference of two Rotary Districts. It’s a six day leadership conference held at Grinnell, Iowa. This year, the dates are July 19 – July 24. High school sophomores and juniors (2019 – 2020 school year) are eligible to apply. The Rotary club of Muscatine would like to sponsor two students to attend this year! You can begin to apply now! Registration closes April 30th, 2020. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to Naomi DeWinter: [email protected] http://www.iowaryla.org/apply/
- 2020 Muscatine County Fair Queen Competition: If you are a young lady between the ages of 16-21 and are interested in participating and representing the Muscatine County Fair this year, please complete and submit the attached application. Applications are due May 1, 2020. 2020 Muscatine County Fair Queen Registration Form
- Juniors: Interested in pursuing a career in Business? 2020 Tippie Gateway Summer Program University of Iowa Opportunity: The Tippie Gateway Program is a six-day residential program for students interested in studying business at Iowa – in the hopes that you will share this information with your students.Tippie Gateway Program Info Tippie Program Info https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nswvYPj-bo
- Parents and Guardians: Our school utilizes the School Messenger system to deliver text messages, straight to your mobile phone with important information about events, school closings, safety alerts and more.* You can participate in this free service* just by sending a text message of “Y” or “Yes” to our school’s short code number, 67587. See flyer for more information. SMS Text Opt-In Flyer.pdf
- Driver Ed information can be obtained from the Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency (MBAEA) website – https://www.mbaea.org/en/student_programs/driver_education/
** Silver Cord Opportunities/Volunteer Opportunities **
- Silver Cord Form- Google Form: The Silver Cord Form is now a google form that you submit online. Silver Cord Form link
** Sports Information **
- Visit MHS Official Activities Site for updates to schedules, rosters & directions.
- Athletic Forms: Parent Permission Form Concussion Form Physical Form
** Fundraisers **
- Muskie Store is Open! The district has partnered with Phelps Custom Apparel to offer our staff, families, and community Muskie Apparel! This online store does not close meaning that it remains open for all of your Muskie clothing needs throughout the year.
Go to: https://stores.inksoft.com/phelpsstores_muscatine_muskies/shop/home and check it out!
- Muskies School Store – Jostens: Do you want Muskie Spirit Wear/Accessories or to give as a gift. A portion of sales comes back to MHS! $10 discount coupons available! Contact Doreen at [email protected] for discount.
Visit Muscatine High School Muskies Custom Apparel
** Scholarships **
- For a list of scholarships available at this time, please click on the ‘Scholarships’ link below. Scholarships are listed by the month of their due date. Scholarships
** Keep informed on what is going on at MHS! **
|Facebook:||MHS Facebook Page|
|Student Handbook:||MCSD Student Handbk|
|Curriculum Guide:||2020-21 Curriculum Guide|
This content has been provided by the Muscatine Community School District and is distributed by Discover Muscatine.