** Daily News & Information ** Home of the Muskies!
We are continuing to follow CDC and public health COVID-19 guidelines. Wearing your mask is mandatory at all times in the classroom and in the hallways. Masks must cover your nose. Gaiters are not acceptable mask coverings.
MHS Attendance Office: 563-263-6616 x1133 or [email protected]
Announcements in Green – New
Announcements in Blue – Previous Day
Announcements in Black – 2 or more days old (per request)
** Daily News & Information ** 2020-21 Finals Schedule – 2nd Semester 2020-21 Finals Schedule
- FFA Weekly, May 10-16: FFA Weekly
- Seniors: Quick Reference Guide – 2021 Graduation/Practice
- Muskie Time-Wednesday, May 12th Early Out: Students will stay with their 6th period teacher for Muskie Time on Wednesday, May 12th due to the Early Out Schedule. Please remember that students will possibly be on a different lunch rotation that day.
- 2-Hr Early Dismissal: Wednesday, May 12 2-Hour Early Out Schedule
- Senior Signing Recognition Ceremony will be held in the MHS Gymnasium at 12pm (Muskie Time) on Friday, May 14th. We will recognize all Seniors that are going to be participating in a College sport next year. Please fill out the form emailed to you if you have not already done so. Parents are invited to attend the Signing Ceremony and will need to check in at the Attendance Center. ** Masks are required to attend **
- Senior Awards Night: Wednesday, May 19th, 6:30-8:30PM in the MHS Auditorium. Invitation Only Event: Students have been notified if they are receiving an award. Guest attendance is limited to 2 people per award recipient. ** Masks are required to attend **
- 2020-21 Finals Schedule – 2nd Semester 2020-21 Finals Schedule
- TONIGHT! The final Band Concert of the year will be Tuesday, May 11th, at 7PM in the MHS Auditorium. Free will donations will be accepted.**Masks are required to attend along with social distancing**
- This event will be live streamed! The MHS Academic Awards Program for 10th-12th grade students will be held on May 13 in the MHS Auditorium during the appropriate time listed below. Students receiving an award (list is posted by Student Services) should attend their grade level ceremony. (9th grade students who have achieved perfect attendance this year will receive their award in the mail.) Parents are invited to the Awards Program and will need to check in at the Attendance Center. Please note times for each grade level below. ** Masks are required to attend **
Thursday, May 13th
9:00 am – Seniors Live Stream Link: MHS 12th Grade Academic Awards
10:00am – Juniors Live Stream Link: MHS 11th Grade Academic Awards
1:00pm – Sophomores Live Stream Link: MHS 10th Grade Academic Awards
- 2nd Annual MHS Baseball Fundraiser – Mattress Sale at the Van Hecke Center – May 22nd from 10am-5pm. 2nd Annual Muscatine Baseball Fundraiser
- Senior Obligations (fees & fines) and Silver Cord recipients are posted outside of Student Services by Student ID #. Senior obligations must be paid to pick up cap & gown on May 21st.
- The Air Force recruiter will be at MHS, May 12th at 10:00AM to speak to Juniors or Seniors interested in the Air Force. Please let Mrs. Meienke or Mrs. Meeker know in the Student Services Office if planning to attend.
- Activities/Athletics Info: See Activities/Athletics section below and MHS Official Activities Site
- Job Opportunities: See Job Opportunities section below.
- Silver Cord Opportunities: See Silver Cord section below.
- Any FFA Member who is planning to show livestock at the County or State Fair needs to have all paperwork to an Ag teacher no later than Wednesday, May 12th at noon.
- MHS Orchestras Spring Concert and Awards Ceremony: Friday, May 14th @ 7PM in the MHS Auditorium. Private Event – Orchestra students will receive tickets to give to parents. This event will be live streamed to the Muscatine Access Channel 9 Youtube channel. Free will donations will be accepted. **Masks are required to attend along with social distancing**
- 16th Annual All City Swing Dance: Saturday, May 15 at the MHS VanHecke Center from 7-10PM.
This event is open to the public. Admission is $5. Guests are required to wear face masks or face coverings, and there will be no food or dessert at the dance.
- Stringfest: The 12th Annual Giles Joslyn Stringfest Concert will take place on Friday, May 21st @ 7PM in the MHS Auditorium. There is a limit of 300 tickets, which can be bought at the door. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students. This event will be live streamed to the Muscatine Access Channel 9 YouTube channel.
- It’s not too late to order your 2020-21 Yearbook. Deadline date is May 26, 2021! $56 per yearbook. Payment can be made online using InTouch, MHS Attendance Center, or by mail.
Complete details: 2020-21 Yearbook Order Details
- Students: As the weather gets warmer please be reminded of our dress code:
All outer clothing must cover all undergarments. Clothing should cover the student from shoulder to mid thigh. This means a student’s chest, stomach and bottom should be completely covered.
While we are still allowing hats and hoodies in the hallways, they are to be worn properly and not cover your face. You may be asked to remove them during class instruction.
Sunglasses are to be worn outside only. We are still following CDC and Muscatine public health COVID guidelines. Wearing masks in the building is not optional and they should cover both your mouth and nose. This policy will be reviewed at the end of this school year.
- MHS Key Club Impact Award: The following students have given blood at least 6 times during their high school career and will wear a red cord at graduation. Impact Award Recipients
- Yearbook Pickup Information: If you purchased a MHS yearbook, a drive-thru pick-up will take place in early August on two separate dates in the Industrial Tech/AG/Greenhouse parking lot located across from the VanHecke Center. When you drive up, please have your full first & last name and grade written in large letters on a piece of paper to show to the yearbook staff distributing the yearbooks – this allows for the line to move quickly. Once a printing and shipping date is confirmed by the printing plant, more details with exact dates and times will follow in a District-Wide Communication and this Google Doc will be updated. Yearbook Distribution // Pickup
- Seniors: All library books and materials & textbooks are due on Wednesday, May 12th, 2021. If you need to keep a book longer for a class assignment, please contact Mrs. Keltner. Also, a reminder that all library fines need to be taken care of before graduation. MCSD Library Books
- Freshman-Juniors: All library books and materials & textbooks are due on Thursday, May 20th, 2021. If you need to keep a book longer for a class assignment, please contact Mrs. Keltner.
- REMINDER! Seniors: The 2021-2022 MCC Foundation Scholarship Deadline has been Extended! The new deadline is July 30, 2021. Apply at www.eicc.edu/scholarships Click on “Apply Online for Muscatine Community College”. New MCC Foundation Scholarship applications can be submitted AND draft applications that were not completed by the March 1 deadline, can be finished and submitted.
- Lost and Found: Stop at the Attendance Center if you have lost jewelry, wireless headphones, charging cases, water bottles, etc. You will need to provide a description of the item you have lost.
- ACT Academy Test Prep: All students have free access to the ACT Academy test prep online. The link below includes the instructions for log in whether you have or have not logged in in the past. Please contact Mrs. Hawkins with any questions. ACT Academy Test Prep
- 2021 Muscatine County Fair Queen Competition: It is hard to believe that we are already starting to think about fair 2021! Once again we are looking for young women to run for the title of 2021 Muscatine County Fair Queen. Entry Deadline: May 14, 2021. Muscatine Co. Fair Queen Application
- FREE MEALS for all kids 18 (older when enrolled in school) and under. (USDA announced that they would be extending the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)). We will also provide a pick-up site at Central for parents, guardians or a designee (such as an older sibling) to pick up meals for multiple days for those not attending school in person, too young to attend school and weekend meals. Survey to pick up meals at Central
- Parents and Guardians: Our school utilizes the School Messenger system to deliver text messages, straight to your mobile phone with important information about events, school closings, safety alerts and more.* You can participate in this free service* just by sending a text message of “Y” or “Yes” to our school’s short code number, 67587. See flyer for more information. SMS Text Opt-In Flyer.pdf
- 2020-21 Driver’s Ed information can be obtained from the Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency (MBAEA) Drivers Ed Information
** Athletic/Activities Information **
- Muscatine Summer Youth Volleyball Camp for students entering grades 5th-8th grade – August 12th & 13th from 3:30-5pm at the MHS VanHecke Center. Cost: $40 per camper. Please contact Coach Russell with any questions at [email protected] Registration forms are due July 16th to guarantee a t-shirt. Walk-ins will be accepted however t-shirt is not guaranteed. Muscatine Youth Volleyball Camp Info & Registration Form
- Open mat wrestling workouts available to all MHS students beginning April 1 in the wrestling room from 4-5 pm.
- Visit MHS Official Activities Site for updates to schedules, rosters & directions.
- Follow @MuskieAD on Twitter for MHS activities & athletic updates and information.
- Athletic Forms: Parent Permission Form Concussion Form Physical Form
** Forms **
- Online Transcript Request Form: Muscatine High School Transcript Request Form
- Silver Cord Form: Students recording hours of volunteer service during their years at MHS will be awarded a Silver Cord to wear at graduation. In order for volunteer hours to count towards a Silver Cord, students must complete the online form to verify. Silver Cord Form
- BookDash Service: The MHS Library is continuing to offer our BookDash service!! Any student who needs (or wants) more books to read during virtual learning can complete the BookDash order form. * More information is available on the MHS Library website or the linked flyer. Curbside pick up is recommended!
*All visitors entering MHS must use the front doors and masks are required. Books must be picked up within one week of the ‘ready email’. Email Mrs. Keltner at [email protected] with questions!
- Vehicle Registration Form/Parking Tags: If you are a new driver to MHS and do not have an MHS Parking Tag, you will need to pick up & complete a Vehicle Registration Form. Vehicle Registration Form Students that have a parking tag from last year will continue to use that parking tag. If you no longer have the parking tag, please stop in the Student Services office.
- DOT Minor School License Form: DOT Minor School License Form Forms are available in the MHS Main Office – Rm-11-001. (You must have completed Driver’s Ed in order to submit this form.) Instructions: Please complete Sections 1 and 3. (Leave Section 2 blank) and return to the Main Office.
** Fundraisers **
- 2nd Annual MHS Baseball Fundraiser – Mattress Sale at the Van Hecke Center – May 22nd from 10am-5pm. Mattress Sale Information
- Muskie Store is Open! The district has partnered with Phelps Custom Apparel to offer our staff, families, and community Muskie Apparel! This online store does not close meaning that it remains open for all of your Muskie clothing needs throughout the year.
Go to: Phelps Muskie Store and check it out!
- Jostens Muskie School Store: Do you want Muskie Spirit Wear/Accessories or to give as a gift?
Visit Jostens Muskie School Store
SAVE10 – $10.00 off all products, minimum purchase of $75
SSOFF10 – 10% off all products
** Job Opportunities **
- Job Opportunity: Burger King. Apply online at: BeatonJobs.com or Text: “JOBS1769” to 844-863-8562. Must be 15 years-old to apply. Burger King Job Info
- Are you a student interested in a career in firefighting and EMS? Check out the Muscatine Fire Department Explorer Program! Contact Mrs. Hawkins for details. MFD Explorer Info
- Seniors: Temp Associates has summer jobs available in Assembly and Mig Welding. Pay range of $13 to $15 an hour. Positions are also available if you are looking for full time career opportunities. Stop by the office at 104 Cleveland St., next to HyVee, or call 563-263-6589.
- Juniors – Temp Associates is looking for candidates for internship opportunities for the 2021/2022 school year. Internship opportunities include: welding, drafting, engineering, and marketing. Please go to the office located at 104 Cleveland St., next to HyVee, or call (563)263-6589.
- Seniors – Production position available: Manpower Temp Agency is a staffing service for a local production facility who is looking for people that are eager to work and can work any shift. They produce and package product for shipment. This is a temp-to-hire position so it can lead into a full time permanent position based on attendance and productivity. The starting pay is $13.50/hr paid weekly. Manpower also offers medical insurance and 401K after 90 days of employment with us. We also offer continuing education. If anyone is interested, please contact Cynthia Monday – Friday from 8 am – 5 pm at 319-237-3113 or email [email protected]
- The Chore Program at Senior Resources of Muscatine is looking for young adults 16 years of age or older to work or volunteer their time as independent chore contractors providing lawn care this summer for seniors living in Muscatine. This can be a paid or a volunteer position. If anyone is interested you can contact John Bryant at 563-263-7292 or e-mail to [email protected]
- Summer Conservation Jobs with Muscatine County Conservation Board. Must be 18 and have a valid driver license. Summer Conservation Worker Info Muscatine Co. Employment Application
- Geneva Golf and Country Club Seasonal Job Opportunity: Geneva Golf and Country Club is looking for seasonal bag staff for this spring, summer, and fall! This is a great team atmosphere to work in! Perfect for a high school or college student! Must be at least 16 years old.
Geneva Seasonal Job Description Please apply by reaching out to Matt Dail at 815-441-8989, emailing Matt at [email protected] or [email protected], or by calling Geneva Golf and Country Club at 563-263-8942!
** Scholarships **
- Seniors: The 2021-2022 MCC Foundation Scholarship Deadline has been Extended! The new deadline is July 30, 2021. Apply at www.eicc.edu/scholarships Click on “Apply Online for Muscatine Community College”. New applications can be submitted AND draft applications that were not completed by the March 1 deadline, can be finished and submitted. New applications can be submitted AND draft applications that were not completed by the March 1 deadline, can be finished and submitted.
- Please visit Scholarships for a list of available scholarships. (newest scholarships are listed at the end of the document)
- Ag Coop Safety Directors of Iowa Scholarship in Memory of Mark Hambleton
Award Amount: Up to $1500
Application Deadline: April 30, 2021 Ag Coop Safety Directors of Iowa Scholarship Info & Application
- Seniors: Iowa College Aid is offering a few programs to help fund your college experience.
The links to these programs can be found at:
** Silver Cord Opportunities/Volunteer Opportunities **
- Deliver Meals for Seniors Saturdays & holidays. Meals are picked up at Trinity. It takes about an hour to deliver a route. A route consists of delivering 8- 10 meals. Training is provided by riding along with current volunteers to learn route. A valid driver’s license (or a licensed driver to transport you) is required. Please contact Teri Piazza at Senior Resources today! Phone: (563) 263-7292.
- The Food & Nutrition Department is providing a free meal pick up service at Central Middle School on Wednesday & Thursday for families in our community. We need help packing meals and carrying boxes and bags to cars. Please email [email protected] for details.
- Silver Cord Program: Students recording hours of volunteer service during their years at MHS will be awarded a Silver Cord to wear at graduation. In order for volunteer hours to count towards a Silver Cord, students must complete the online form to verify. Silver Cord Form
Service qualifies for Silver Cord recognition if:
- The student is not paid for the service
The student does not receive credit for the service.
The service is not for the purpose of fundraising for a group/activity/team that the student participates in.
*140 hours are required for students in the Class of 2021, 2022 and 2023.
*160 hours are required for students graduating in the Class of 2024.
** Yearbook Information **
- 2020-21 Yearbook Order Date has been extended to May 3, 2021! $56 per yearbook. Payment can be made online using InTouch via Parent PowerSchool portal, MHS Attendance Center, or by mail. Complete details: 2020-21 Yearbook Order Details
- Did you or someone you know attend Muscatine High School during the 2012 through 2015 school years? If so, this is your chance to purchase a yearbook that reflects those school years and memories! Each yearbook is $20 until sold out. All proceeds go back into the Yearbook Club to purchase new equipment and expand the program for students. To purchase, call the Activities Office at Muscatine High School at (563) 263-6141 and ask for Mindy.
** Keep informed on what is going on at MHS! **
|Facebook:||MHS Facebook Page|
|Student Handbook:||MCSD Student Handbk|
|Curriculum Guide:||2020-21 Curriculum Guide|
This content has been provided by the Muscatine Community School District and is distributed by Discover Muscatine.