Jan. 11, 2021
Muscatine High School
Current Athletics Department Guidelines for Spectator Sports at MHS
Thank you in advance for your cooperation as we work on putting safe guidelines in place so that our students can participate in activities this Winter, and our students, families and community members can support our Muskie teams. Please keep in mind that these guidelines may also continue to evolve if it becomes necessary to make changes due to changes in state of Iowa, Public Health, Iowa HS Athletic Association, Iowa HS Girls Athletic Union, Mississippi Athletic Conference or Muscatine Community School District guidance and guidelines. These guidelines were created in conjunction with Gov. Reynolds’ Jan. 7th proclamation and the Jan. 8th MAC Superintendents discussion on Spectator Attendance for MAC contests during Jan and Feb. 2021.
Spectators should not attend the event if they have any of the following characteristics:
– Have been in contact with someone with a confirmed COVID 19 diagnosis in the last 14 days.
– Are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
º Fever (>100.4) or chills
º Shortness of breath
º Muscle or body aches not associated with exercise
º Loss of taste or smell
º Sore throat
º Congestion or runny nose
º Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
Spectator seating: MHS HOME EVENTS
• Basketball: Home side will use lower and upper seating (Muscatine fans); Visiting fans will sit on Upper side on ‘Team Bench side’ (same side that has always been used for the Visitors). Lower bleachers behind Team benches will not be pulled out; Visiting team and Home team members will each be issued 4 game day tickets. This number may vary a little bit due to the type of Game being played and the number of rostered players. It could also change if the circumstances of the event dictate a change. Visiting teams will be issued 2 Game Day tickets per rostered player.
• Bowling: 4 Game Day tickets for each bowling meet; No visiting fans
• Wrestling: Home team members will be issued 4 tickets. Visiting team members will each be issued 2 game day tickets.
• Swim: No Fans at JV Invite; No visiting fans permitted due to space limitations. Home team members will each be issued 2 Game Day tickets. No other spectators are permitted.
Cheerleaders: No Visiting Cheerleaders; Home Cheerleaders: max of 6, will need to be masked at all times. Currently planning to allow Home cheerleaders at mat side during our Home Wrestling meets; Wrestling cheerleaders must be masked at all times. Home Cheerleaders will be issued 2 tickets per event that they are cheering at.
Basketball and Wrestling Tickets for Community Members: For Basketball and Wrestling meets there will be appx. 50 tickets available for community members (spectators that are not able to get a ticket from a rostered player). Spectators may call the Muscatine HS athletic office and reserve a ticket (4 ticket maximum call-in reservation), but tickets will be picked up at the Admission Table at the event.
Basketball and Wrestling Tickets for MHS students: For Basketball and Wrestling meets there will be appx. 50 tickets available for MHS Students (spectators that are not able to get a ticket from a rostered player). This number may be adjusted due to the type of event and the number of competitors at the event. Students must pick up tickets in the Muscatine HS athletic office between 8am and 3:30pm. Due to COVID 19 and the need for Social Distancing, there WILL NOT be a student section the rest of the Winter season. Students may attend games the rest of the season if they have a Game Day ticket but we will not create a Student Section at this time.
Mask Requirements: Fans must be masked at all times; Basketball players: Home players and Coaches: must be masked at all times except for 5 players that are on the court playing in the game. Home Wrestlers and Coaches: need to be masked at all times unless competing in a match; Bowling: must be masked at all times; Swimming must be masked at all times except when swimming; Event workers will be masked at all times.
Additional Information for Events:
• Gates Open for Visiting Athletic Teams: 45 mins before Start time.
• Gates Open for Spectators: 45 mins before Start time
• Locker Room Availability: Same locker room as previously used will be available.
• Concessions: Concessions available: drinks, candy and pizza; may have additional items
• Pep Band: Minimally no Pep Band until after Christmas Break. If we have Pep Band, that may impact number of Game Day tickets available.
• Basketball games in the VanHecke Center will have very limited seating; will be seats for approx. 2 people per rostered player for that game (typically the 9th grade game)
• Spectators should sit in every other row in the gym in order to increase social distancing. Rows will be marked.
Parking and Gymnasium entrance:
– Fans should park in the parking lot on the North side of MHS. This parking lot may be accessed via Bonnie Drive (Exit Mulberry onto Bonnie Drive and then enter the MHS campus) or Cedar Street. If entering the MHS campus off of Cedar Street, drive past the front doors of the HS (west side of the bldg.) and keep going until you see the North parking lot.
– Handicapped parking: If Handicapped parking is needed, enter the campus off of Cedar Street and follow the signage to drive through the Cedar Street parking lot. The Handicap parking is next to the gym and fans would enter through ‘Gym/Pool Entrance #2’
– Entering the HS from the North parking lot: enter the bldg. through ‘Gym/Pool Entrance #1’. You will walk down a hallway and turn right. Exit that hallway to the right and you will seen the Admission Table.
This content has been provided by the Muscatine Community School District and is distributed by Discover Muscatine.