This mural is located on the backside of Hy-Vee at 2400 Second Avenue in Muscatine. I thought it would be interesting to learn some of the history of Hy-Vee trucks. Thank you Hy-Vee Corporate for these facts.
- (1937) Robert Bixby and a driver took the company’s semi-truck to buy produce directly from the producers in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Twice a week, usually on Saturday and Wednesday, Bixby polled store managers for fresh produce orders, then accompanied a driver to Kansas City to purchase these orders.
- (1948) The company owns 22 tractor-trailers and trucks.
- (1959-1960) The first diesel truck was purchased.
- (1977) The slogan, “a helpful smile in every isle,” appeared on trucks for the first time.
- (2021)Hy-Vee trucks operate virtually 24-hours a day, and weekly post 600 deliveries weighing 20 million pounds.
I wanted to personally thank Hy-Vee and all the wonderful staff that are hard at work providing food and everything Hy-Vee offers!