WEST LIBERTY, Iowa–
On the evening of May 19, 2022, the West Liberty Police Department arrested Emily Resendiz on several additional charges. Resendiz, a former counselor at West Liberty Middle School already faces charges for criminal trespass; violation of a no contact order; sexual exploitation by a counselor, therapist, or school employee; and two counts of second-degree sexual abuse.
The West Liberty Police Department reviewed evidence obtained from search warrants and other sources and more evidence was discovered in this case. Based on that evidence, Resendiz was arrested on 13 additional charges:
• Nine counts of second degree sex abuse – 709.3(1)(b)
• One count of sex abuse – continuous sexual abuse of a child – 709.23(2)
• 1 count of lascivious conduct with a minor (aggravated) – 709.14(4)
• 1 count of contempt – violation of a no contact order – 664A.7(1)
• 1 count of tampering with a witness – 720.4
The West Liberty Police Department is still actively seeking more information on this investigation. If you or anyone you know has any information about this case, please contact the West Liberty Police Department by calling 319-627-2223.
Sexual Abuse is a serious crime and is never the fault of the victim. If you or someone you know is a survivor of a sex crime, we encourage you to report it to law enforcement so we can assist you with resources.