** Daily News & Information ** Home of the Muskies!
We are continuing to follow CDC and public health COVID-19 guidelines. Wearing your mask is mandatory at all times in the classroom and in the hallways. Masks must cover your nose. Gaiters are not acceptable mask coverings.
MHS Attendance Office: 563-263-6616 x1133 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Announcements in Green – New
Announcements in Blue – Previous Day
Announcements in Black – 2 or more days old (per request)
** Daily News & Information **
- 9th & 10th Grade Students: The Pre-ACT test will be optional this year instead of mandatory for any 9th and 10th grade student. The Pre-ACT empowers students with a unique ACT® test practice experience. Scores provide valuable insights into students’ predicted performance on the ACT and help inform important high school course decisions. Please complete the form if you would like to request a Pre-ACT test for May 20th. The test will be given during the school day. You do NOT need to complete the form if you are NOT planning on taking the Pre-ACT test May 20th. REQUESTS FOR A TEST NEED TO BE DONE BY END OF DAY WEDNESDAY, APRIL 28th.
Pre-ACT Request for Testing May 20th
- Seniors: The 2021-2022 MCC Foundation Scholarship Deadline has been Extended! The new deadline is July 30, 2021. Apply at www.eicc.edu/scholarships Click on “Apply Online for Muscatine Community College”. New applications can be submitted AND draft applications that were not completed by the March 1 deadline, can be finished and submitted.
- Silver Cord Opportunity: We are looking for volunteers to work the Susan Clark Junior High track meets on Tuesday, April 13th, and Thursday, April 27th at MHS Stadium from 4-7 pm. We need field event assistants and timers. Please contact Mr. Kulland in Student Services if you are interested.
- TODAY Seniors: Jostens will be hosting a DRIVE THROUGH graduation delivery (invitations & accessories but not cap & gown) on Wednesday the 7th from 3:30-5:30pm in the back parking lot by the MHS Greenhouse (across from VanHecke Center). (Students will pick up their cap & gown when fines & fees are due in May – date not set.) Please drive up and we will bring your items to your car. Please pay by calling 1-800-JOSTENS (567-8367) before delivery day or bring cash on delivery day. (Cash is the ONLY form of Payment on Delivery Day.)
- Job Opportunities: See Job Opportunities section below.
- Silver Cord Opportunities: See Silver Cord section below.
- Pride Club, MHS’s Gay/Straight Alliance, is hosting an After School Hang Out on Wednesday, April 7 from 3:30-5:30 in room 22-013(Cromer’s room). Come hang out, listen to music, draw, chat, play games and eat snacks! Check with Ms. Cromer in 22-013 if you have questions. See you there!2021-2022 MCC Foundation Scholarship Deadline is Extended to July 30, 2021! Apply at www.eicc.edu/scholarships Click on “Apply Online for Muscatine Community College”. New applications can be submitted AND draft applications that were not completed by the March 1 deadline, can be finished and submitted.
- FFA Weekly – April 5-11: FFA Weekly
- 2020-21 Yearbook Order Date has been extended to May 26, 2021! $56 per yearbook.
Payment can be made online using InTouch, MHS Attendance Center, or by mail.
Student Council Applications for the 2021-2022 school year are available! Any current 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th-grade student is encouraged to apply. See the flyer attached for more information on Student Council and how to apply. Application packets are due by Friday, April 23rd at 11:59 PM. Please check your school email for the application. If you have any questions please feel free to email Ms. Heimerdinger at email@example.com.
2021-22 MHS Student Council Application Info
- Muskie Softball Store. Store closes April 8. Muskie Softball Store
- Open mat wrestling workouts available to all MHS students beginning April 1 in the wrestling room from 4-5 pm.
- Support your MHS athlete in their chosen sport by placing an ad in the MHS Sports program. Ad info due April 9. Details and order form are at: https://bit.ly/2EDytT3
- Sending your MCC Transcript to Another College: If you took college classes while in high school and want to send your transcript to another college, please remember you need to order that transcript online. To complete the order you will need to enter your social security number (if you gave us one when you did your application) OR your student ID#. If you do not know your student ID number, please contact Anabelia Calderon-Flores at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the college directly at 563-288-6001. If you have access to your EICConnect account, the student ID# is in the top right hand corner of that account (not Canvas), next to your name. This information can also be found on the copy of the confirmation forms you sign in your concurrent classes each semester.
If you are currently in a concurrent class, make sure to request your transcript get sent “After Grades Are Posted”. Also, to complete the ordering process, you will need a debit or credit card.
If you have questions, please contact Anabelia Calderon-Flores at email@example.com or 563-288-6035. www.eicc.edu/transcriptrequest
- Seniors: We are excited to share your post secondary plans with the community! Please complete the google form that was emailed and submit your photo by April 16th to be included in our Senior Decision Day video. Ideally the picture would be a photo celebrating your post secondary decision. Ideas would be things like: wearing a t-shirt from your chosen school, holding a pennant, holding a copy of your acceptance letter, signed employment contract or enlistment paperwork. We are celebrating ALL post secondary decisions and we look forward to sharing them with our community!
- MHS Junior/Senior Prom will be on Saturday, May 1st from 8-11pm. It will be held outdoors in front of the Stadium’s new concession stand area with a large tent area being in place for shelter and seating. Tickets will be sold for $20.00 and will be sold during A, B, C lunches the week of April 12-16th.
- FREE Prom Dresses, Shoes, Dress Pants, Shirts & Ties! If you are in need of a prom dress, shoes, dress pants, shirt or tie, check out the display across from the Attendance Center. If you have any questions, see Mrs. Adams in the Attendance Office. Prom is on May 1st.
- Carnival After the Prom Extravaganza or C.A.P.E. donations are being accepted and adult volunteers are needed! CAPE is the safe, chaperoned, drug and alcohol-free after-prom party, which is offered AT NO CHARGE to all juniors and seniors in good standing. This year, C.A.P.E. will be held after prom from 11:30 PM on May 1 until 2:30 AM, May 2. CAPE Donation & Volunteer Communication
- Nursing Information Session: Learn more about EICC’s Nursing Programs and visit one-on-one with nursing faculty, advisors and career services on April 7 at 1 p.m. or 4 p.m. at Musser Center, Muscatine CommunityCollege (behind college, next to dorms) or via Zoom: https://zoom.us/j/7342881361
- Are you a student interested in a career in firefighting and EMS? Check out the Muscatine Fire Department Explorer Program! Contact Mrs. Hawkins for details. MFD Explorer Info
- Lost and Found: Stop at the Attendance Center if you have lost jewelry, wireless headphones, charging cases, water bottles, etc. You will need to provide a description of the item you have lost.
- Race for the Schools 2021 Race for the Schools Registration Form
Virtual Option ONLY for 2021
What: Virtual 5K or Virtual Muskie Mile Run/Jog/Walk – Run any route on your own or with a parent/adult
When: Any time from April 23 to Saturday, May 1, 2021
Adult Fees: 5K, $20 – Muskie Mile – $10
Student Fees: 5K, $10 – Muskie Mile – $8
Contact Daphne at 563-263-7223 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- ACT Academy Test Prep: All students have free access to the ACT Academy test prep online. The link below includes the instructions for log in whether you have or have not logged in in the past. Please contact Mrs. Hawkins with any questions. ACT Academy Test Prep
- 2021 Muscatine County Fair Queen Competition: It is hard to believe that we are already starting to think about fair 2021! Once again we are looking for young women to run for the title of 2021 Muscatine County Fair Queen. Entry Deadline: May 14, 2021. Muscatine Co. Fair Queen Application
- FREE MEALS for all kids 18 (older when enrolled in school) and under. (USDA announced that they would be extending the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)). We will also provide a pick-up site at Central for parents, guardians or a designee (such as an older sibling) to pick up meals for multiple days for those not attending school in person, too young to attend school and weekend meals. Survey to pick up meals at Central
- Parents and Guardians: Our school utilizes the School Messenger system to deliver text messages, straight to your mobile phone with important information about events, school closings, safety alerts and more.* You can participate in this free service* just by sending a text message of “Y” or “Yes” to our school’s short code number, 67587. See flyer for more information. SMS Text Opt-In Flyer.pdf
- 2020-21 Driver’s Ed information can be obtained from the Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency (MBAEA) Drivers Ed Information
** Athletic/Activities Information **
- Muskie Softball Store. Store closes April 8. Muskie Softball Store
- Visit MHS Official Activities Site for updates to schedules, rosters & directions.
- Follow @MuskieAD on Twitter for MHS activities & athletic updates and information.
- Athletic Forms: Parent Permission Form Concussion Form Physical Form
** Forms **
- Online Transcript Request Form: Muscatine High School Transcript Request Form
- Silver Cord Form: Students recording hours of volunteer service during their years at MHS will be awarded a Silver Cord to wear at graduation. In order for volunteer hours to count towards a Silver Cord, students must complete the online form to verify. Silver Cord Form
- BookDash Service: The MHS Library is continuing to offer our BookDash service!! Any student who needs (or wants) more books to read during virtual learning can complete the BookDash order form. * More information is available on the MHS Library website or the linked flyer. Curbside pick up is recommended!
*All visitors entering MHS must use the front doors and masks are required. Books must be picked up within one week of the ‘ready email’. Email Mrs. Keltner at email@example.com with questions!
- Vehicle Registration Form/Parking Tags: If you are a new driver to MHS and do not have an MHS Parking Tag, you will need to pick up & complete a Vehicle Registration Form. Vehicle Registration Form Students that have a parking tag from last year will continue to use that parking tag. If you no longer have the parking tag, please stop in the Student Services office.
- DOT Minor School License Form: DOT Minor School License Form Forms are available in the MHS Main Office – Rm-11-001. (You must have completed Driver’s Ed in order to submit this form.) Instructions: Please complete Sections 1 and 3. (Leave Section 2 blank) and return to the Main Office.
** Fundraisers **
- Soccer Spring Clean Up Day: This is a fundraiser for Muskie Soccer Boosters. It will be held April 25th. Rain Date May 2nd. Thanks for supporting our players. Spring Soccer Clean Up Day Info
- Muskie Store is Open! The district has partnered with Phelps Custom Apparel to offer our staff, families, and community Muskie Apparel! This online store does not close meaning that it remains open for all of your Muskie clothing needs throughout the year.
Go to: Phelps Muskie Store and check it out!
- Jostens Muskie School Store: Do you want Muskie Spirit Wear/Accessories or to give as a gift?
Visit Jostens Muskie School Store
SAVE10 – $10.00 off all products, minimum purchase of $75
SSOFF10 – 10% off all products
** Job Opportunities **
- The Chore Program at Senior Resources of Muscatine is looking for young adults 16 years of age or older to work or volunteer their time as independent chore contractors providing lawn care this summer for seniors living in Muscatine. This can be a paid or a volunteer position. If anyone is interested you can contact John Bryant at 563-263-7292 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Summer Conservation Jobs with Muscatine County Conservation Board. Must be 18 and have a valid driver license. Summer Conservation Worker Info Muscatine Co. Employment Application
- Geneva Golf and Country Club Seasonal Job Opportunity: Geneva Golf and Country Club is looking for seasonal bag staff for this spring, summer, and fall! This is a great team atmosphere to work in! Perfect for a high school or college student! Must be at least 16 years old.
Geneva Seasonal Job Description Please apply by reaching out to Matt Dail at 815-441-8989, emailing Matt at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling Geneva Golf and Country Club at 563-263-8942!
** Scholarships **
- Please visit Scholarships for a list of available scholarships. (newest scholarships are listed at the end of the document)
- Seniors: Iowa College Aid is offering a few programs to help fund your college experience.
The links to these programs can be found at:
** Silver Cord Opportunities/Volunteer Opportunities **
- The Muscatine Community YMCA has volunteer opportunities teaching soccer to youth. Help is needed on Saturday mornings beginning April 10th from 9:00-11:00am. If interested, please contact Brandon VanZandt at 563 263 9996 or email@example.com
- Deliver Meals for Seniors Saturdays & holidays. Meals are picked up at Trinity. It takes about an hour to deliver a route. A route consists of delivering 8- 10 meals. Training is provided by riding along with current volunteers to learn route. A valid driver’s license (or a licensed driver to transport you) is required. Please contact Teri Piazza at Senior Resources today! Phone: (563) 263-7292.
- The Food & Nutrition Department is providing a free meal pick up service at Central Middle School on Wednesday & Thursday for families in our community. We need help packing meals and carrying boxes and bags to cars. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Silver Cord Program: Students recording hours of volunteer service during their years at MHS will be awarded a Silver Cord to wear at graduation. In order for volunteer hours to count towards a Silver Cord, students must complete the online form to verify. Silver Cord Form
Service qualifies for Silver Cord recognition if:
- The student is not paid for the service
The student does not receive credit for the service.
The service is not for the purpose of fundraising for a group/activity/team that the student participates in.
*140 hours are required for students in the Class of 2021, 2022 and 2023.
*160 hours are required for students graduating in the Class of 2024.
** Yearbook Information **
- 2020-21 Yearbook Order Date has been extended to May 3, 2021! $56 per yearbook. Payment can be made online using InTouch via Parent PowerSchool portal, MHS Attendance Center, or by mail. Complete details: 2020-21 Yearbook Order Details
- Did you or someone you know attend Muscatine High School during the 2012 through 2015 school years? If so, this is your chance to purchase a yearbook that reflects those school years and memories! Each yearbook is $20 until sold out. All proceeds go back into the Yearbook Club to purchase new equipment and expand the program for students. To purchase, call the Activities Office at Muscatine High School at (563) 263-6141 and ask for Mindy.
** Keep informed on what is going on at MHS! **
|Facebook:||MHS Facebook Page|
|Student Handbook:||MCSD Student Handbk|
|Curriculum Guide:||2020-21 Curriculum Guide|
This content has been provided by the Muscatine Community School District and is distributed by Discover Muscatine.