Nichols Volunteer Fire Department to apply for Ryan Grant

Margaret Hurlbert
Margaret Hurlberthttps://discovermuscatine.com
Margaret Hurlbert works as the Editor of Discover Muscatine Newspaper.

Muscatine Living

NICHOLS, Iowa–As part of the continuous process of maintaining their equipment, the Nichols Volunteer Fire Department plans to replace their bunker gear within the next year. At the September Nichols City Council meeting, Fire Chief Kevin Flynn shared tentative plans for the replacement project.

According to Flynn, bunker gear (which includes all of the personal protective equipment firefighters wear to a call) needs replacement every 10 years. With all of Nichols’ gear at that age, the department has started looking into replacement options. Flynn estimates the new bunker gear will cost $51,000.

To help offset the cost, the department will apply for a grant from the Edward and Joseph Ryan Memorial Trust. Two years ago, the department received a grant from this fund (set up in 2003 to benefit non-profits in the West Liberty area) to help purchase their new pumper-tanker. If the department receives the grant, it could cover up to 85% of the costs. The remaining 15% will come from city money as well as the fire trustees.

As well as planning for the purchase of their new bunker gear, the Nichols Volunteer Fire Department looks forward to hosting a re-imagined fundraiser this fall. In lieu of their annual soup supper, the department plans to hold a drive through breakfast Sunday, Nov. 8.

In addition to discussing the fire department’s plans, the Nichols City Council discussed the latest developments in their sewer re-engineering process. A project update revealed that the city has completed the pre-engineering inspection of the waste collection lagoons. At their next meeting, they expect to hear from V&K about their plans for completing the project and about their grant application process.

Latest News

Community Foundation of Greater Muscatine Announces $500,000 Grant

The Community Foundation of Greater Muscatine announces a multi-year grant in the amount of $500,000 has been awarded from...

More Articles Like This

Muscatine Today

MTS- Brandon is here to talk about Fat Cat

Today on the show Scott Schultz from Impact Fitness and Nutrition is here to talk about more healthy fitness tips. Then if you are looking to get your car cleaned up from the winter listen to today's show to learn about a business in town that can help you with that and more..... Thank you to our show sponsors: Harpers Cycling and Fitness, Beckey Insurance, Muscatine Power and Water, RIVO Plumbing and Heating, ImpactLife Blood Center, Lutheran Living, Toyota of Muscatine, Impact Fitness and Nutrition, Sun Tan City Muscatine, Real Estate Resource Associates, UnityPoint Health Trinity Muscatine and Hy-Vee Muscatine #muscatinetodayshow #goodmorningmuscatine #KindnessIsFree

DMSN Broadcasts

Manta Rays Swim

Join us as the Muskie Boys Basketball team hosts the North Scott Lancers! Watch Your Way: DiscoverMuscatine.com Discover Muscatine Facebook Discover Muscatine YouTube DiscoverMuskie Twitter Muscatine Power and Water Cable Channel 3 Brought to you by Muscatine Power and Water, Muscatine Lawn and Power, Hy-Vee, Bayer of Muscatine, First National Bank of Muscatine, Affordable Metal Manufacturing, Eastern Iowa Power Washers, Arty’s Ice Cream and Grill, Rivo Plumbing and Heating, Riots and Rebelle’s Salon, Bickford Senior Living, Let’s Eat, Muscatine Community Y and the Youth Sports Foundation. #DMSN #MuskieSports #Muscatine #MuskieSchools #basketball #prephoops #prepbasketball

Talk of the Town

Chasing the American Dream!

I've always been an idea guy. I love sitting around a table, brainstorming with a group, and talking things through. This includes people considering...

Muscatine Area News

Community Foundation of Greater Muscatine Announces $500,000 Grant

The Community Foundation of Greater Muscatine announces a multi-year grant in the amount of $500,000 has been awarded from the Mary Jo and Richard...