MUSCATINE, Iowa–This piece of artwork I painted way up above the parking ramp behind the Merrill Hotel in Downtown Muscatine.
I found a postcard designed by an unknown artist from around the 1950’s and spruced up the colors a bit. Inside each letter are images that have historical significance. They are as follows:
- M-Second Street in the 1950’s
- U-Balanced Rock, once at Wildcat Den State Park
- S-The duck pond at Weed Park
- C-Scenic view of the Mississippi River
- A-The Muscatine County Courthouse
- T-City Hall
- I-The USS President, a steam powered paddle boat
- N-The Masonic Temple
- E-The former Mississippi bridge
My favorite part of this artwork is showing the history, and it’s pretty cool how far away you can see it. Keep looking up!
Postcards are available at the National Pearl Button Museum.