By Sherry Hoyer, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach
AMES, Iowa — The annual series of Iowa Pork Regional Conferences has been a long-standing partnership of the Iowa Pork Producers Association, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, and the Iowa Pork Industry Center. The shared goal of bringing research and education to producers continues with this year’s program, topics, and speakers.
There are four sessions, one each day Feb. 20-23, at different locations, all starting at 1 p.m. All are free.
Iowa State extension specialists will offer Pork Quality Assurance Plus training each morning from 9 a.m. to noon at that day’s regional conference site. These training sessions are sponsored by IPPA and are free, although participants must preregister. Attendees are responsible for their own lunch. Lunch will not be served at the conference sites. Download the event flyer.
Topics and presenters
- European Experience with African Swine Fever – A panel of producers and veterinarians will talk about ASF herd management in different European countries. The information is from a trip organized by the National Pork Board last fall.
- Heat Stress Research and Strategies to Mitigate It – Brett Ramirez, assistant professor in agricultural and biosystems engineering at Iowa State, will talk about studies for improving barn ventilation, and share strategies to reduce heat stress.
- Economic Issues Update – Lee Schulz, associate professor in economics and livestock economist at Iowa State, will present an overview of economic activity that will impact pig farmers.
- The Value of Manure – The extension ag engineer for each respective area will provide updates on Iowa State’s manure research including information to help you determine its value.
Conference dates and locations
- Monday, Feb. 20 – Orange City at the ISU Extension and Outreach Sioux County office, 400 Central Ave. NW, Suite 700.
- Tuesday, Feb. 21 – Webster City, Briggs Woods Conference Center, 2501 Briggs Woods Trail.
- Wednesday, Feb. 22 – Nashua, Borlaug Learning Center, 3327 290th St.
- Thursday, Feb. 23 – Washington, ISU Extension and Outreach Washington County office, 2223 250th St.
See conference details and link to the online registration form on the IPPA website. Participants can also preregister by contacting IPPA by phone at 800-372-7675 or email [email protected].