MUSCATINE, Iowa – After a nearly six month delay, the Alley Asphalt Overlay project will begin later this week. Six sections of Muscatine alley’s will be milled and overlaid with hot mix asphalt by Taylor Ridge Paving and Construction.
The City awarded the contract to Taylor Ridge Paving and Construction at the October 3, 2019, City Council meeting. A total of 11 alleys were on the original 2019 list but were pared back when the projected was rebid last Fall.
The alleys’ to receive the asphalt overlay are:
- Alley behind 400 block Busch Street;
- Alley between Grover & Charles from New Hampshire to Hershey;
- Alley between Oregon & Illinois from Earl to Baker;
- Alley between Bond & Bleeker from Grandview to Liberty;
- Alley between Iowa & Sycamore from 9th to 10th ;
- Alley between Iowa & Sycamore from 10th to 11th.
Milling of the alley sections will be conducted this week with the hot asphalt overlay expected to be completed by May 8.
Each alley will be closed to all traffic while the asphalt overlay is applied and set (setting time will take approximately eight hours). Residents who park in the work areas are asked to park elsewhere and to stay away until the alleys are reopened by the contractor.
Drivers are urged to obey all barricades and signs, and do not drive on the freshly laid asphalt.
Residents who have questions can call the Public Works Department at 563-263-8933.