MUSCATINE, Iowa – It is time for the annual Spring leaf collection and the Department of Public Works (DPW) vacuum trucks will be out on the streets of Muscatine between April 6-17 according to a DPW official.
The trucks will be working in Zones 1-4 during the week of April 6 and move to Zones 5-8 during the week of April 13. Residents should have their leaves piled in the boulevard in front of their residences by the corresponding Monday of the week for pickup in their zone.
Residents can also contact Public Works (563-263-8933) between April 1 and April 15 to schedule a day for leaf collection. This two week period is the only time that leaf collection will be conducted by the City of Muscatine this Spring.
General guidelines for leaf pickup:
- Leaves should be placed near but not beyond the curb, and should be within reach of the leaf vacuum. Leaves should be free of tree branches and twigs as they can cause the leaf vacuums to clog up.
- All leaves must be placed outside of fenced areas.
- Leaves are not to be placed in the street to avoid clogging storm drains.
- Leaves should not be placed in street or extend into traffic lanes, thereby creating traffic hazards.
- Leaves should not be placed around obstacles such as mailbox posts, sign posts and light poles.
- Crews will not pick up leaves mixed with debris, logs, branches, rocks, plastic, metal or glass containers, or any other types of refuse.
- Leaves should not be placed on City cul-de-sacs, vacant land, or City property except on the public right-of-way along the curb/shoulder area.
Visit Street Cleaning for more information.